Is your firm trying to reduce the risk of an adverse Costs Assessment? The Law Society of New South Wales have put together a resource list of items that
could help you.
Check out these 6 resources below:
- Costs page; There is a wealth of useful explanations,
links and fact sheets available here regarding the assessment of uniform law costs by law practice.
- Costs precedents; You can access
letters, precedents and forms regarding cost precedents. The information also covers commercial and government clients.
- Client Costs Settlement Deed; The Deed of Compromise is intended to operate as an accord and satisfaction when settling a solicitor/client or uniform law costs dispute. It is intended to be used in those cases where there is a genuine compromise of the costs in dispute such that the practitioner is able to evidence a significant concession as the consideration for bringing the costs dispute to a complete end. If you are a member you will be able to download the Client Costs Settlement Deed in PDF or Word doc.
- Costs Guidebook The Costs Guidebook is
a practical introduction to costs, featuring a suite of customisable precedents for compulsory costs disclosure and fee agreements. First published
in 1994, this popular publication is produced by the Law Society’s Costs Committee and has been regularly revised ever since. It will shortly be
updated to a 7th edition which refers to the new uniform law.
- Billing factsheet. This two page fact sheet
is simple and easy to digest. It has information on Type of Bill, Service of Bill, Itemised Bills, Itemised Bill higher than Lump Sum Bill, Responsible
Principal for a Bill, Charging for Bills & Written Reports as to Costs, Notification of Client’s Rights and Interest on Unpaid Legal Costs.
- Other factsheets are available here
if you would like more resources about how the legal profession is regulated in New South Wales.
We hope you found our go-to guide helpful.
Looking for cover?
Unfortunately adverse cost assessments are frustrating, distracting and expensive. To avoid the burdens and financial pain, you can simply purchase cover
online. Costs Cover is the only place to protect this risk to your business so you are in the right place.